Monday, June 11, 2012

Visiting Duchess Sanctuary

People, I love horses so much that I just drove 15 hours roundtrip to go visit some. Not just any "some", though, but very special rescued horses who live out their lives at Duchess Sanctuary in Oakland, Oregon. Duchess Sanctuary is one of the Humane Society of the United States' five animal centers.

Keep up with the horses on Facebook.

It is home to 189 horses, most of whom are victims of the premarin industry, where mares are continually impregnated, shoved into small stalls 6-mos out of the year, and physically restrained to the point their muscles atrophy and many can become crippled. Their foals are raised and sold, often for slaughter. When they no longer produce foals, mares are sold for slaughter as well.

My heart adores draft horses. Big, beautiful, bold creatures. They are used heavily in the premarin industry because they produce more urine and are more docile. The particular herd I met was bred with paint horses which the farm (now out of business, yay) believed would increase the sales of the multi-colored foals.

Mina was my tag-team buddy for this trip while Celeste (hater of long car rides) stayed with my parents.

PICTURES ARE MANY.



To get anywhere requires a desire to walk a lot or a 4-wd vehicle (my preference). It is 1,100 acres of soft, rolling hills and expansive pastures for the different subgroups. I met the largest herd and had the distinct pleasure of watching them be let into their new pasture.

Hurry up, falling asleep here!
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
How bored am I? Very.
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
See me run! Let me in to my pasture, now please!
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Do not stand in front of gate when it is opened. You will be smushed.
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Lazy trot.
Many of the horses pair up. The horse on the left below has a freeze-brand indicating she is one of the mares used at the farm to produce urine. The lack of a tattoo indicates the horse was lucky enough to be born at the sanctuary and grow up knowing their mother and family.
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
When the mares gave birth, the foals had to be hand-raised and weaned away from their moms. But when they were re-introduced, all the babies - who had been away from their moms for nearly 2 years - found their moms immediately. Most are inseparable.

Some, though, picked wrong. The largest in the herd, a gorgeous dappled grey gelding, was a little confused and pick the incorrect mom...she doesn't seem to mind. I love the photo, sorry the white got blown out on the female.
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Are you my mother?
There is something really special about seeing horses run out of joy, not fear.
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Running in a row
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Running solo
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Tailgater! Geez, mom!
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Horse butts!
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
More horse butts!
Some of the older mares lag behind, but the herd waits for them. One of the horses kept pacing the fence yelling at the slower horses, encouraging them to hurry up.

Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Getting older
Duchess Horse Sanctuary Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Afterwards, it was mainly eating time. I hugged Lightning and she seemed pleased by this. Of course, I did not get a photo of her, fail.

I did not realize eating could be done in many different ways. But it can.

Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating and looking off in the distance
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating and staring at strange camera person
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating while walking towards strange camera person
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating and staring off to the left
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Repositioning and eating straight forward
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating in a pretty setting
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating and being concerned about stuff
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating with friends
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating lazily
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating and walking
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Thinking about which grass to eat
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating while looking sleepy and sniffing camera person
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
Eating while looking gorgeous
Award for most spirited goes to this little lady. She was rescued from a starvation case. She is a tiny, tiny, tiny horse. The horse behind her is literally 3-4 times larger than her. She has nerve damage, which is why her ear droops and her lower lip pouts. But she did her best to try and kick that big horse behind her in the face. (The halter and lead rope is for halter training).
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
All your faces belong to me, as in I will kick them in!
Duchess Horse Sanctuary
WHAT DO YOU HAVE FOR ME LADY?
I love that last picture. He saw me taking pictures and was like YES MOAR FOR ME! and ambled over for some photos and love. I think he's a thoroughbred.

I cannot express how grateful I am that Ranch Manager Jennifer K spent several hours with me, giving me a tour and letting me roam amongst her favorite herd while answering all of my questions. I love my job, truly and completely, but I miss horses greatly and this was a great way for me to get my "horse fix" with some lovely equines.

No comments: